Tuesday, September 11, 2012
On the electrical portion of our home inspection, our inspector noted in the “smoke detector” portion that, “Current law requires a detector on each level and within 15’ of any area designated for sleeping.”
This wasn’t a big deal to us, and since the home sellers had to pass a local village inspection as well, we figured they’d get nailed on this and have to install the proper safety devices. Fun enough, they didn’t, but guess who did. When we sold the home three years later, the village inspector made us install two more fire/carbon monoxide detectors at a cost of about $30…oops!
There were cracks visible on the front stone portion of our home at the time of the inspection, and it needed some tuckpoint repairs. Unfortunately for us, we didn’t press the issue at the time, thinking it wasn’t that big of a deal. However, when we sold our home, the buyers did press the issue since moisture had gotten inside the front wall from those tuckpoint issues, a repair job that ended up costing us $650.
Once again, during our local municipality inspection when we sold, we were dinged for splices in the electrical panel that should already have been repaired by the previous owners. This repair, paired with several other electrical issues ran us about $1,000 to repair when we sold.