Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Money Saving Tip of the Week #4, 5, & 6



Since I haven't posted in a while, here are three money saving tips to make up for my absence.

With winter approaching, utility bills can start to climb as we attempt to keep our homes warm and cozy. Here are three tips that might assist you in reducing energy consumption and help you keep your utility bills down in the process.

Tip #1) Consider using space heaters to help add heat to your home. I have two of those little electric space heaters you can find at most home supply stores (they typically run about $10-25 US). While for safety reasons, I don't leave them on while I'm not around or while I'm sleeping at night, they can be great when you want to pump up the temperature of a room a little bit. I can raise the temperature of my master bedroom by 10-15 degrees fahrenheit in about half an hour. This saves me signficantly on natural gas used to run our sorely energy inefficient furnace.

Tip #2) Those same tiny little space heaters are often about the same wattage as those they put in the fancy electric fireplaces that are all the craze these days and sell for hundreds of dollars. Unless you're looking for ambiance, you can save a good amount of money by avoiding the purchase of an electric fireplace and just get the electric space heater instead.

Tip #3) I have found that the use of an electric blanket can make for additional savings on the heating bill. I purchased one last year on sale at Target for around $70 (I had to get one big enough for a king-sized bed). It keeps us warm and toasty and allows me to significantly lower the thermostat for our furnace at night.

I have access to the natural gas consumption rates for our home over the last several years and I have discovered that I have reduced our bill not only year over year, but by more than half compared to the people who were living there before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment