Thursday, September 9, 2010

Money Saving Tip of the Week #2


Unlike many people these days, I don't tend to spend much time talking on the phone. This fact left me questioning why I even have a land line phone anymore. Sure, it's nice to have around just in case, but I realized my need for such a service was more habit based than necessary. I'd always had a land line phone and signing up for this service just came with the territory whenever I moved to a new location.

Seeing as I now had a pay-as-you-go cell phone though (mostly for emergency purposes), I decided it was time to do away with the old phone service. At the time, I was paying $65 a month for the land line phone. With my cell service, I am required to put a total of $20 onto the plan every three months -- more if necessary (so far it hasn't been).

Even though on a per minute basis the cell phone is more expensive, overall the plan only requires me to pay $80 per year, where as the land line phone service would have been around $780.

This means that I'm saving $700 a year, and even if I add a little more than the $20/3 months onto the cell plan, I am still making my change in service well worthwhile.

Something to consider for all you non-talkers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment