Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SAVINGS BONDS AND WHY I LOVE THEM

I received my first $100 US government savings bond at age sixteen as a essay contest award winner. Ever since then I've been hooked. I love the fact that savings bonds are safe, secure investments that unlike the stock market, won't loose me money and will let me rest easily at night.

There are certainly plenty of financial analysts, stock brokers, and other financial pundits out there that will knock US savings bonds as an investment choice. They'll say the returns on savings bonds aren't high enough, they don't keep up with inflation, or that savings bonds just aren't that great of an investment vehicle.

I disagree, and here is why.

Read more...

2 comments:

  1. The bad thing about bonds is that unless you have a lot of them, they are easy to lose or forget about.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're exactly right Andy. I suggust putting them in a safety deposit box when you get them. If you happen to lose a bond, it is stolen or it is lost in a fire, you can get a replacement if you know the serial number. The problem is, most people don't ever right down the serial number or keep a copy of the bond receipt. Even then, you can still go to www.treasurydirect.gov for instructions on what to do if you don't have the serial #. The bond might still be replaceable by using other information.

    Thanks,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete